Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Double trouble

Hello lovely people! I am happy to be alive!

This week has been a ride! Sunday was particularly hard because it was pouring rain and FREEZING...like seriously it was 39 degrees. And it was sister Torgesens turn to drive which meant I had to stand outside the car and back her out after we parked places. I was also fasting so I was hungry and not very cheerful about it. So anyway, we were knocking on door after door after door and we were given excuse after excuse after excuse and I was just not having it. My boots were soaked through, my stomach was growling, and I was shivering in the rain. I was just ready to go home. Then I remembered a talk I had JUST read that morning about gratitude. It was from the most recent conference by President Uchtdorf. I remembered he said to be grateful IN our trials. So I said a little prayer and turned to sister Torgesen and said "What are you grateful for?" She smiled and said "A car!" and I said "OH me too! I'm also grateful for heating in the car" We laughed and started trying to name little things we were grateful for. Suddenly the situation seemed light and fun. I wasn't thinking about myself anymore!

 Eventually we made it to dinner and it had to have been the best dinner I've ever had. The rest of the night went really well. Even when people didn't let us in or didn't answer, we just found something positive to say instead.  Even if it was something like "I'm sure glad we were able to get the exercise to get out of the car and walk to their door!" It became a game!
Later that night we were able to teach a less active man brother P. He is usually a little cranky and intentionally tries to offend us with his comments. Well this time, as we were testifying of prayer he got a little impatient and started mumbling under his breath and I felt particularly confident to tell him exactly how I felt. I said "Brother P, you are a stubborn man. I know YOU know that prayer will affect you." He grumbled, I went on "Now we can come back and annoy you every week" He chimed in and said "YES, ANNOY" and I continued "And we can have this same conversation every time, or you can actually do what you know you need to do. What is it going to hurt? So with that, I'm going to ask you the same question we continue to ask, will you pray to your Heavenly Father this week?" He paused and stared at us for what seemed like an eternity and finally said "Okay, I will" YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! Success!!!!!!  I've learned sometimes you have to be a little rough before a heart really softens. :)

Funny story, Tuesday at district meeting I realized halfway through that I didn't have my name tag on. I panicked and asked to borrow sister Torgesens. She handed it to me and I slipped it on. I was confident no one would notice. Well her and I went up and did our training for everyone, it went well. After the training our district leader stood back up he said "Thank you for your training, Sister Torgesen and Sister Torgesen." HAHAHA BUSTED!!!!!!! Everyone laughed, it was pretty funny. And thus the title "double trouble" And I thought I was clever!

Well I love you all so much. The gospel is SO TRUE!!!!! I love my savior SO much and my testimony of his atonement and it's power has completely transformed my life. It is real!! Have an incredible week!

Love, Sister Hallmark

No comments:

Post a Comment